There is probably only one bit of advice I can give you that comes with a GUARANTEE. My guarantee is that a Thank You note following an interview will increase the odds of your success.
Even the most quick and simple Thank You note will accomplish accomplishes 3 specific things:
1) It will increase your odds of making a psychological connection to the interviewer. The person who interviewed you is no different than the rest of us. They appreciate being valued for their time and are more likely to select a candidate they feel a connection with.
2) Unless you are interviewing for an actual writing position, odds are you didn’t even discuss your writing abilities during the discussion. A Thank You note provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate your level of professionalism and writing ability. This is opportunity that others who interviewed missed out on, and can only make you look better for the position.
3) You only get one chance to make a first impression in an interview. HOWEVER, a Thank You note gives you a second opportunity to make an impression. By writing a Thank You, you get a second chance to remind your interviewer of your qualifications and desire to work for the company. If this person just interviewed 15 people, a thank you will automatically help them remember YOU and why they need to hire YOU
Wiring a thank you letters is no different than any other form of business writing. Just remember a few of the golden rules: less is more, or “KISS” (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Here is an example of a good letter. It’s simple, quick to read, and accomplishes each of the key factors I listed above. By taking a few minutes to write a Thank You,I will Guarantee your odds of getting a great position will improve.
August 11, 2008
Regional Sales Manager
Seed Corn Inc
1234 1st Ave
Anywhere, IL 54321
I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you today. The position we discussed is a great opportunity. After reviewing your comments about the position, I’m convinced that I could make an immediate contribution to the success of your organization. Since you are planning to make a decision quickly I would like to mention several things that I feel qualify me for the position.
· Proven seed sales ability with a growth of 4,000 bags in the last 2 years
· Dealer development experience with the recruiting and development of 10 new dealers in my district
· Strong technical background with 6 years of retail sales and crop consulting experience
· CCA Certified since 2004
I am self motivated and a quick learner with an intense desire to do a great job in everything I do.
Thank you for the time you took to visit with me, and I look forward to hearing from you.